Despite still being hospitalised from his recent unfortunate fall, Sir Stirling and Susie Moss have just laid out a cool $1,7m on a beautiful classic Porsche, the RS 61 Spyder.
Going under the hammer at the inaugural Amelia Island Auction in Florida, Moss is looking forward to enjoying his new toy when he returns home and is back to full fitness.
This makes a wonderful 30th Wedding Anniversary present, it’s something to look forward to.
The car will be reasonably familiar to Moss, having entered he entered a Porsche RS 60 in the 1961 Targa Florio where he narrowly missed out on the victory. The full history and specification of the specific Porsche RS 61 Moss won at auction reads as follows:
• The Bob Holbert, Thomas Payne and Millard Ripley 1962 Watkins Glen SCCA National-Winning 1961 Porsche RS 61
• Chassis No. 718.070
• Engine No. P90505
• One of only fourteen RS 61’s built
• Exceptional US racing history with 13 Wins and 20 Podium Finishes in SCCA National Competition
• One of the few RS 60/61’s with original bodywork
• Coachwork by Wendler
• Impressive, known ownership history from new, to which we can add Sir Stirling Moss OB
• Correct Type 547 engine and Type 718 gearbox
• 1,678 CC DOHC Air-Cooled Boxer 4-Cylinder Engine
• Twin Weber carburettors
• Approximately 180 BHP at 7,800 RPM
• 5-Speed manual gearbox with limited slip differential
• 4-wheel finned alloy drum brakes
• Independent front suspension with trailing arms and torsion bar
• Independent rear suspension with wishbones and coil-over shock absorbers
• Eligible for the Colorado Grand, Tour Auto and the Le Mans Classic
What do we think of the car? We personally feel it perfectly captures the class and charm of Moss whilst the value of the vehicle has probably doubled just for the British legend adding his name to the previous owners list.
No doubt this is a shrewd investment, and we at SkiddMark would like to wish Sir Stirling all the best with his new purchase and a swift return to a full bill of health.