Nissan’s race-inspired Nismo version of the GT-R has gone on sale in Japan, prior to its debut at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show next month.
Aftermarket tuners will be delighted that it ‘only’ offers 591bhp, although that’s still sufficient to claim a 7:08.679 lap time around the Nürburgring Nordschleife. The only Porsche which betters this milestone is the 874bhp Porsche 918 Spyder which set a time of 6 minutes 57 seconds last September.
But around the Nürburgring a car needs more than just power to lap quickly and the GT-R Nismo’s advanced aerodynamics generate an additional 100kg of downforce at 186mph compared to the standard car (which has recorded a lap of 7 minutes 19.10 seconds).
“With a 7:08.679 lap time, we can authoritatively say that the Nissan GT-R Nismo holds the volume production car lap record at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, which is the gold standard of high performance achievement,” said Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn.
The GT-R Nismo’s development work was carried out in Europe and tested at Germany’s famous Nürburgring Nordschleife, with work undertaken to optimise its aerodynamics, suspension and powertrain to create a well-balanced machine on both the road and track.
Rather than describe all the changes it’s probably easier to list them, so for the detail-oriented among you here are the facts:
- Under the hood, the 3.8-litre V6 VR38DETT engine benefits from the know-how that Nismo has gained from participating in such events as the world-renowned Nürburgring 24 hour race. Engine power has risen and is now rated at 591bhp and 481 lb ft (652 Nm) of torque.
- New high-flow, large capacity turbochargers, which are used for GT3 racing, improve breathing, while optimised individual ignition timing control for each cylinder and upgraded fuel pump improve combustion.
- The springs and custom-developed Bilstein DampTronic dampers in the front and rear suspension are specially tuned to deliver exceptional grip levels and progressive handling response at the limit. Three suspension modes can be selected: Comfort, Normal and R, for circuit applications.
- Exclusive Nismo tyres – developed by Dunlop – exhibit outstanding grip and handling characteristics. Front: 255/40 ZRF20; rear 285/35 ZRF20.
- Specially-developed links fitted to the front double wishbone suspension increase castor trail to optimise wheel position during high-G cornering and improve straight-line and cornering stability. Additionally, large high-rigidity bolts are used to increase stiffness of the wheel-hub attachment area.
- To minimise body-roll during cornering and changes of direction, the Nissan GT-R Nismo features a 17.3 mm hollow rear anti-roll bar which raises roll stiffness while reducing weight.
- Increased rigidity in the bodyshell is achieved using adhesive bonding in addition to spot welding leading to precise suspension response under extreme load, the Nismo “factory tuned” enhancement.
- Using the latest Computational Fluid Dynamic simulation techniques to analyse airflow, Nismo has developed an aero package that improves road-holding, minimises the negative impact of drag, while giving the car a menacing and muscular appearance.
- Together, the front bumper, engine undercover strake and carbon rear spoiler increase downforce, lowering the centre of gravity and generating an additional 100kg (at 186mph) compared to the freshly updated 2014 Nissan GT-R model. The car’s aerodynamic characteristics are tuned to ensure the downforce is equally spread front to rear at all speeds for progressive handling characteristics. A widened front bumper configuration and elongated yet tapered rear bumper design keep the drag to Cd 0.26, same as that of 2014 Nissan GT-R.
- The Nissan GT-R Nismo will be available in five body colours: Brilliant White Pearl, Meteor Flake Pearl Black, Ultimate Metallic Silver and Vibrant Red. And unique to the GT-R Nismo model, a Dark Matte Grey accentuates the car’s imposing exterior muscularity.
- The GT-R Nismo’s black 6-spoke wheels are inspired by Nissan’s GT-R race car which races in the GT500 class in SUPER GT.
- The Nissan GT-R Nismo cockpit inspires driver confidence through both its craftsmanship and optimised driving position.
- Ergonomically sculpted carbon-fibre-backed reclining RECARO seats (Europe/Japan) comfortably, yet firmly, support the driver and front-seat passenger.
- Nismo racers influenced the design of the steering wheel which is dressed in Alcantara, with three spokes, red centre mark and red stitching to give the best combination of grip, feedback and comfort.
- The combi meter has carbon-like finish, and tachometer features a red design. The meter hood is also dressed with Alcantara.
- Interior trim features include discreet red stitching on the seats, centre console, door trim and steering wheel.